Big picture - Why invest in Cobalt Blue Holdings Ltd
Cobalt Blue Holdings Ltd Snapshot
Cobalt Blue is a pure-play cobalt focussed energy solutions company, which was incorporated on 26 August 2016 for the express purpose of advancing the development of a cobalt mining operation in New South Wales, Australia.
Thackaringa – Mining History
Thackaringa was originally mined for rich silver lead zinc ores in the early 1880s, but the lure of the then newly discovered Broken Hill just 23 kilometres away was too strong, so that after the easy ore bodies were mined, the field closed down. In modern times Broken Hill has been downsized to a smaller mining centre with little mining activity taking place beyond the main line of lode of Broken Hill itself. Thackaringa exhibits many of the classical Broken Hill mineralisation styles and is again today, a significant exploration target.
The Thackaringa Cobalt Project covers an area of 63km2 and is located in western New South Wales (23km west of Broken Hill).
Thackaringa is located approximately 1,000km and 500km from Sydney and Adelaide respectively by road and approximately 400km from the Spencer Gulf (Port Pirie) by rail. The project location is shown below.
The Thackaringa project is located within the Broken Hill Block of the Curnamona Province and is composed of Willyama Supergroup high grade regional metamorphic gneisses, schists and amphibolites. Within the project area the local geology is dominated by quartz-albite-biotite gneiss, quartz-albite gneiss, and amphibolite dykes. The extensive stratabound cobalt-pyrite mineralisation at each prospect (Pyrite Hill, Big Hill and Railway) is hosted by quartz-albite gneiss.
Last updated 4th December 2018
- IBM, Citibank, Westpac and Evolution Healthcare senior management and Director;
- Numerous directorships of private companies including Rockridge Private Equity, Hutchisons Child Care (successful ASX listing); and
- Board Member of the Heart Foundation of Australia, Diabetes Association and the “Bread & Butter” Project.
Chief Executive Officer
- Deutsche Bank, Head of Resources, equities / investment management, resources and energy storage technology focus;
- PricewaterhouseCoopers performing operational reviews and strategic assessments across mining, minerals processing, railway and port facilities throughout Australia, North America and Europe; worked extensively on secondment to BHPB and Rio Tinto; and
- International consulting role focused on renewable energy / battery storage technologies.
- Managing Partner Blake Dawson (now Ashurst) and its predecessor firms, with 35 years’ legal experience until retirement from full time practice in 2010;
- Non-executive director of ASX listed Thakral Holdings Ltd and of LJ Hooker Ltd and in both companies was a member of the Audit Committee; and
- Chairman of a large private investment company with over $150m of net assets.
- 10+ years business development and strategic planning roles within the RioTinto Group at Hamersley Iron, RTZ Services and Rio Tinto Minera SA.;
- 20+ years of investment banking as director and principal of Resource Finance Corporation and as a Managing Director of N M Rothschild and Sons.
- 10+ years in private equity deal making and as a non-executive director, including Chairman, of a number of publically listed and private mining and mining service companies.
Last updated 11th June 2019